Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Can you walk a mile in my shoes?


If I gave you a mile, you wouldn’t even make it an inch.  People are so quick to judge others without even knowing the road they took to get them where they are.  We are shaped by our backgrounds and the situations we go through, so our reactions to things are a reflection of our view.  I was once told that I “overreacted” to a situation.  That maybe so in that person’s eyes, but then I politely explained to that person my past and why I reacted the way I did and then asked “is that reason enough for me to react the way I did?’  Don’t be so quick to judge or think you can do something better.  Being a single mom I get judged a lot by people I don’t know and even friends and family.  People think I’m much younger than I am.  I’m 27 but people usually think I’m 18.  So when I’m out with my girls people always pass judgment because they think I’m so young with two children.  I had a random woman in the grocery store walk up to me and say “How did you have two kids?”  To add to people’s judgment I’m a stay at home mom which unfortunately people look down on that.  It doesn’t matter that I work extra hard to put myself through undergrad to earn a bachelor’s degree with honors or that I’m working even harder to put myself through graduate school.  When people see me their first thoughts are that I’m a lazy uneducated young mom, not realizing it’s far from the truth.  People don’t take the time to get to know people and understand why they are who they are.  People are so quick to pass judgment not ever living the life that that person has.  No one is the same and even if you go through some of the same situations as that person, you can never walk a mile in their shoes.  The shoes won’t fit because it’s not made for you.

Life’s lesson: Those who judge others are battling their own insecurities.  Don’t let hurt people hurt you.

10 comments:

  1. I was just having this discussion with someone about how people really do jump to judgement and it is really hard to validate that since it is hard to actually know what is going on in someone else's world and sometimes things that you wouldn't ever guess are actually going on beneath the surface...wonderful post and lovely life lesson!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. High Fiverz... I agree Girl Im 27 too..with three kids! I get frowned upon all the time especially by all the older women at my job. They are all old and some dont even have children. When I tell them how old I am and how many children I have i get weird responses and looks. Dont let them bug you, I have to admit it used to really bug me, but I am proud that I have come as far as I have and have done it all by myself and with the help of my husband. Only you know your struggles...:) Keep your strife girl ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The shoes won't fit because they're not made for you." --- love that quote!

    Honestly, people can be very superficial and quick to judge without knowing a damn thing but don't let their quick thoughts get to you. As long as YOU know you're doing what you need to do, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything." That's what I always say :) Really no one has the right to judge someone else, and respect is a key in any relationship.


    Fashezine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the lesson learned. People who judge really do have their own insecurities, that's why they are looking to find fault in others to only help themselves feel better, but it never works! Thanks for sharing! I am visiting from the hop! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me back! thanks so much!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is true. We should not pass judgements. Only the wearer knows where the shoe pinches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello :) just stop by hope u r ok :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree with you. I am judge so often by so many people because of the fact that I am a single mother and because I look like I'm 18 (wink!), but I always say the same thing to myself, "If they only knew...."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your shoes :D They look beautiful :)I follow you now, maybe you want to follow back?
    xoxo

    www.walk-the-street.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're doing an amazing job. Just from the little I've read of about you, I'm impressed and in awe of your accomplishments. I had a baby when I was young too and it didn't stop the show, if anything it got better because now I had a focus and responsibility, which honestly, I think made me a better person.

    Congrats on your achievements thus far.. you're doing it!!

    ReplyDelete